In order to achieve its goal, e-CAB has created following Standing committees. The committees will look into different domains of the Bangladeshi e-Commerce sector. Each committee is headed by a person who is an expert in the particular domain.
General functions of the standing committees:
• Closely observe the sector and pin-point its strengths and weaknesses.
• Address various issues of the sector.
• Initiate discussion with industry and government
• Consider and recommend actions and propose policies in the functional areas under their jurisdictions, subject to final approval by the Executive Committee.
Currently, there are seven standing committees in e-CAB. Based on the necessary in future, more committees might be created in future.
• Rural e-Commerce: More than half of the people of Bangladesh live in villages and agriculture is the biggest economic contributor. Most of the SMEs are also located in villages. The Rural e-Commerce Standing Committee will:
o adress the main problems and issues of rural e-Commerce.
o recommed actions to spread rural e-Commerce.
o assist government to start new initiatives- policies, projects- for the growth of the e-Commerce.
o focus on empowering rural women through e-Commerce.
• Policy Development: Proper policy development is the pre-condition of building a prosperous e-Commerce industry. Lack of proper policies is currently the single biggest challenge of the Bangladeshi e-Commerce sector. The Policy Development Sanding Committee will:
o Collect information about the prevailing problems and issues of the e-Commerce industry.
o Discuss with the industry leaders and government officials.
o Develop various guidelines to assist the government in developing policies for e-Commerce.
• Payment & transaction: Payment and transaction is another highly important area of e-Commerce. In order to make e-Commerce popular, we must have a secured online transaction system. The Payment & Transaction Standing Committee will:
o Talk with industry people and find out about the remaining problems and issues in this sector.
o Discuss with banks, government officials and e-Commerce companies.
o Develop guidelines
• Entrepreneurship development: e-Commerce can be the driving force of economy. Many new businesses can be created which will eventually create jobs for university graduates. To do so, it is important to groom talented youths and new entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship Development Standing Committee will:
o Identify new talents and groom them through training and workshop.
o Help promote them through various events
o Give them access to various government programs.
o Jointly develop programs with the government to nurture new entrepreneurs.
• Public-Private initiatives: Government plays a very important role in the growth of the e-Commerce sector. The Public-Private Initiatives Standing Committee will:
o co-ordinate between government and industry.
o assist government to develop various programs with private organizations.
• Media: Media will play a big role in create awareness about e-Commerce among people and popularizing it around the country. The Media Standing Committee will:
o Organize seminars, symposiums, ministerial dialogues to inform government and people about the issues of e-Commerce
o Publish articles on e-Commerce to create awareness
o Organize talk shows in television channels
• e-Security: Security, cyber-crime and online frauds are major challenges for the
e-Commerce sector of Bangladesh. e-Security Standing Committee will:
o undertake programs to create awareness among consumers, businesses and government.
o bring together representatives from different sectors and help them to work together.
o take necessary steps to prevent fraudulent activities and cyber crime.
o organize seminars, symposiums on security issues.
o conduct research on existing problems and prepare reports
o make recommendations for government organizations